Swallow Barn – a special star filled moorland boho Cornish retreat by the coast
Swallow Barn really does offer something different. Located on our 100 acre organic hill farm and nature reserve, home to rare breeds (Belted Galloway) set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Swallow Barn is a beautiful, book lined art filled romantic artisan cottage set high amongst the cliffs and moors of West Penwith. It feels like you are far from urban life yet Penzance and St Ives are less than 5 miles away. This is a beautiful undeveloped area of west Penwith rich in ancient history and sacred monuments left by our ancestors.
Combining rustic architecture with comfortable and stylish surroundings Swallow Barn is a great base from which to walk the stunning footpaths straight from your door, explore the area and come back to Swallow Barn to relax and unravel. Swallow Barn is covered in climbing ivy and surrounded by private gardens, so it feels nicely secluded, and yet it’s only a short drive away from some of the area’s top attractions – including St Michael’s Mount, Minack Theatre, Land’s End, the Tate St Ives and some of the best surfing beaches in the world.
Downstairs (via a narrow handmade spiral staircase) at Swallow Barn there is a large entrance porch leading to a large light filled sitting room with a scarlet wood burner and french doors opening out to your private patio and suntrap area leading to your own large lawned garden. Upstairs there is a fully-equipped artisan country farmhouse kitchen with Cornish dresser and country views. There is a romantic booked lined master bedroom, offering you peace and tranquility and the space to hide from the world. The cottage is decorated throughout with original Cornish art, photography, books, fresh flowers from our gardens and lashings of Cornish light – not to mention an unlimited supply of peace and quiet.
The Swallow Barn offers the opportunity to escape from real life, rest or celebrate and makes the ideal base for exploring the sublime coast and countryside of the Penwith Peninsula . At Swallow Barn on Bodrifty farm we are one of the few areas left in the UK that have dark skies so are lucky enough to have no night pollution, Therefore you can sky watch and see planets and comets from your kitchen door.
Starry nights and masses of birds and wildlife are guaranteed at Swallow Barn together with peace and tranquility.
- Stunning location in Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty: lots of walks across open country from the door
- Boho arty secluded romantic cottage featuring original stonework and scarlet log burner
- Artisan country kitchen with Cornish dresser and high beamed ceilings
- Large private lawned gardens – bring a frisbee – ours keep getting lost
- Good quality linen and a super comfortable bed in a sweet little bedroom
- Log fire for chilled nights in – we supply the first basket and thereafter available at cost from our own seasoned wood pile.
- Writers retreat – lots of books, peace and fresh sea air
- Wifi & free sat We are far from the BT cabinet and so the wifi can be patchy, the satellite TV and DVD is fine
- Garden, BBQ and sun trap from french doors in the living room
- Our privately owned Bodrifty Iron Age settlement is 3 fields away from your door, which you are welcome to visit